All original documents requiring attestation or Apostille should be first authenticated by the designated authorities of the State/Union Territory from where the document has been issued. The Ministry of External Affairs legalises the documents on the basis of the signature of the designated signing authorities of the State Government/Union Territory/Chambers of Commerce; hence it does not take responsibility of the contents of the documents.In case of personal documents, Home/General Administration Department of the concerned State Government/Union Territory are the designated authorities. In case of educational documents, the documents should first be authenticated by the Education Department of the concerned State Government/Union Territory. Commercial Documents are to be pre-authenticated by the respective Chambers of Commerce. The details of the Regional Authentication Centres (RACs) in the States/Union Territories from where the documents should first be authenticated are given below.As a result to outsourcing of receipt and delivery of documents for attestation/apostille with effect from July 2012, no document from individuals is accepted at the Ministry of External Affairs Counter at CPV Division, Patiala House Annexe, New Delhi. The original document is to be submitted directly to the five outsourced agencies (mentioned below) along with a photocopy of the document and a photocopy of the Passport of the applicant. Ministry will not legalize the photocopies. However, applicant can submit documents directly at four Branch Secretariats.